COVID-19 Updates – Vaccines, Therapeutics and Long COVID.
The video link below is a recording of a online panel discussion about recent information:
- Current NIH/FDA/CDC Guidelines for COVID-19 vaccines and therapeutics
- Long COVID symptoms, treatments and resources
- Jasjit Singh, MD, Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialist, CHOC
- Dr. Elizabeth Nghiem, MD, Infectious Disease Specialist - staff at multiple hospitals/ETN Infusions
- Dr. Joey Gee, DO, Neurologist- Mission Heritage Medical Group/Providence
- Fady A. Youssef, MD FCCP, Pulmonologist, Internist and Critical Care Specialist, Long Beach Memorial/ UCI School of Medicine
Hosted by: OC Health Care Agency, Orange County Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics – OC Chapter, California Academy of Family Physicians, American College of Physicians.
Watch Panel Discussion: https://vimeo.com/764246304
Webinar hosted on 10/25/22.
The following treatment recommendations are intended to assist Orange County providers in making COVID-19 treatment decisions.
There are multiple anti-SARS-CoV-2 products that can be used for treatment or prophylaxis of COVID-19 that have received Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, providers should be aware of factors that have important implications for use of these products in patient care:
COVID-19 Therapeutics Discussion – View the link below to hear physician-lead discussion about therapeutics for OC Medical Clincians.
Presentation Slides: https://www.aap-oc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/COVID-Therapeutics-for-OC-Clinicians-slide-deck-for-5.25.22-final.pdf
COVID-19 cases continue to be identified in Orange County. Any person with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should be tested as soon as symptoms develop. For the latest county surveillance data, visit
Current Status of COVID-19 Variants in Orange County (Updated January 7, 2022)
Case counts for COVID-19 have been increasing exponentially in recent weeks and Omicron has become the predominant variant in Orange County. The current variant epidemiology in Orange County can be found here.
Surveillance for COVID-19 Variants in Orange County
The HCA is working with clinical laboratories and healthcare providers to assure prompt identification of suspect and confirmed variant cases. The HCA requests that clinical laboratories in Orange County submit all COVID-19 positive PCR specimens with Ct value <30 for genomic sequencing to the HCA Laboratory. Healthcare providers are particularly requested to promptly report and submit nasopharyngeal specimens to HCA for possible whole genome sequencing from any individuals with SARS-CoV-2 virus infection who meet any of the following criteria:
- All patients hospitalized with SARS-CoV-2 infection
- All cases associated with congregate living settings such as skilled nursing facilities and homeless shelters
- Cases associated with unusual circumstances such as large outbreaks
- Positive cases who traveled internationally in the last 14-days or had exposure to persons with recent international travel
COVID-19 Provider Advisories (CD Health Alert)
Health Advisories from Orange County Health Care Agency for Orange County Providers can be found HERE.
COVID-19 Testing Recommendations
With the increase in case rates and increased rates of breakthrough cases, providers are recommended to test all persons who have symptoms of infection, including those who are fully vaccinated.
Additional testing guidance resources:
Monoclonal Antibody Therapy for COVID-19
Monoclonal antibody therapy can be utilized to provide high risk patients either early outpatient treatment or post-exposure prophylaxis. Additional information and resources for Orange County providers and patients can be found here.
Patients with positive results from either PCR or antigen testing are reportable to public health. Laboratories are to report both PCR and antigen positive results. Providers need to report within one business day all cases with positive antigen tests that will not be reported by laboratories.
Providers should report hospitalized patients, deaths, and any suspect or confirmed cases who are homeless or living in congregate living settings within one business day to (714) 834-8180. Clinical laboratories are routinely reporting COVID-19 positive test results to HCA.
Providers Wishing to Vaccinate Their Patients
Providers can sign up on myCAvax at https://eziz.org/covid/enrollment/ to vaccinate their staff and patients.
Sign Up to Receive Provider Advisories
- Health professionals who wish to receive OC Health Care Agency provider advisories can register HERE.
- HCA can assist with testing these highest risk groups if other laboratory testing options are not available. Please call (714) 834-8180 for more information.
California Crisis Care Continuum Guidelines for Health Care Facilities
With unprecedented surge in COVID-19 cases, the California Department of Public Health has outlined resources and expectations for all health facilities. These guidelines can be found HERE.