The OC Health Care Agency is sponsoring a “Mask Message Contest” to give students a chance to show off their creativity, spread the word about mask safety, and win prizes for their schools!
- ELIGIBILITY: All elementary, middle, and high school students who are NOT children or relatives of County of Orange employees are eligible to enter the contest.
- HOW TO ENTER: Students must send one completed Mask Message Contest Entry Form, and one file containing an original creative work, to email@example.com or if the files are too large to email, upload to DropBox on or before the contest end date. Alternatively, students may mail their entry materials to: OC Health Care Agency, Attn: J. MacDonald, Mask Message Contest, 405 W 5th St, Santa Ana, CA 92701. Each original creative work should fit into one of these categories:
- Mask Art
Come up with a cool, creative mask design that everybody will want to wear – if your artwork is scanned or photographed, be sure to include the entire design and light it well, avoiding shadows (file types accepted: png, jpg) Download mask template.
- Written Essay
In 300–400 words, persuade people that wearing a mask is without a doubt the only way to go – students are encouraged to use their imaginations, and may base their writing on personal experience, scientific research, fictional characters or anything else they want (file types accepted: doc, txt)
- Social Video
In 60 seconds or less, create an original video using a camera, computer or smartphone that entertains and educates how awesome wearing a mask can be – students can work as individuals or in groups (file types accepted: mp4, mov)
- Mask Art
- JUDGING: Each entry will be scored by a panel of judges that includes local subject-matter experts and County of Orange staff members. Scores will be based on how well entries: encourage people to wear a mask, appeal to audiences, show originality and creativity, demonstrate technical skill, and have artistic value. The three entries with the highest scores in each entry category for each school level will be named winners.
- ORIGINAL WORK REQUIREMENT: No copyrighted materials (including but not limited to photographs, illustrations, video clips, music, song lyrics, written text, characters, brand names, corporate logos, etc.) may be used in your entry unless you own the copyright or have a license to use the material for this contest. No professional assistance is allowed. Parents and other adults may provide verbal guidance, or assist students by operating cameras, scanners and computers, or performing as actors in videos, but they may NOT create or contribute to the content of the entry itself. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials as well as signed/completed Actor Release Forms for each person appearing in a video submission.
- FILE FORMATTING: Include your project title, name, grade and school in the name of your file (i.e., StaySafe_LisaSmith_Grade2_AnaheimElementary.doc). If submitting a video entry, include a “title screen” before the start of your video that includes the following information:
- Title of video
- Lead student producer’s name
- Grade and school name
This title screen will NOT be included in your video’s 60-second time limit.
- CONTEST START AND END DATES: Entries must be received between Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 12:00 a.m. (“start date”) and Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (“end date”). Sponsor is not responsible for late entries.
- PRIZES: A total of 27 technology grants (to be used for purchasing Wi-Fi hotspots or other technology supplies) will be awarded, one to each of the schools attended by the student winners from each of the following school level / entry category combinations:
- Elementary School / Mask Art
- Elementary School / Essay
- Elementary School / Social Video
- Middle School / Mask Art
- Middle School / Essay
- Middle School / Social Video
- High School / Mask Art
- High School / Essay
- High School / Social Video
First prize: $7,000 – nine total winners
Second prize: $6,000 – nine total winners
Third prize: $5,000 – nine total winners
In addition, student winners will earn big-time bragging rights! All winning entries in each contest category will appear on the OC Health Care Agency website and social media channels, plus the winning Mask Art design in each of the five Supervisorial Districts will be produced for students in those schools to wear!
Winners will be posted on the ochealthinfo.com/maskcontest web page no later than 11:59 p.m., Friday, December 4. All federal, state, and local taxes connected to prizes won are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- SPECIAL NOTES: All entries will become the property of OC Health Care Agency and may be reproduced or distributed by the Sponsor in any way, including being shared on the OC Health Care Agency website and social media.