STATE OF CALIFORNIA
Business Reopening Guidance
11/21/2020 - California has a blueprint for reducing COVID-19 in the state with revised criteria for loosening and tightening restrictions on activities.
California has a blueprint for reducing COVID-19 in the state with revised criteria for loosening and tightening restrictions on activities. Every county in California is assigned to a tier based on its rate of new cases and positivity. Orange County, CA is currently in the Purple Tier (widespread virus transmission). To find guidance for specific industries and activities, please visit https://covid19.ca.gov/industry-guidance/.
Reopen your business or facility safelyUse the Employer Playbook for a Safe Reopening to help plan and prepare for reopening your business. Review how to respond to COVID-19 cases in your workplace and prevent further spread. To protect and support workers, employers need to:
- Instruct workers when they should stay home
- Notify all workers who were potentially exposed
- Maintain confidentiality when communicating with other workers
- Provide healthcare consultations advising workers about their exposure
- Provide information to close contacts about home quarantine, symptom monitoring, and testing options
- Provide information to affected workers about what to expect, including sick leave options and when they can return to work
- Identify and track suspected and confirmed cases among workers
- Report confirmed cases to the local health department where their business is located, and where the infected workers live (if different)
- Develop a testing strategy to identify additional worker cases and close contacts to control further spread
- Work with their local health department to assist in contact tracing and quarantining of close contacts
- Consider whether to temporarily suspend operations
- Scroll down this page to find the guidance for your industry, business, event, or activity.
- Review it completely.
- Perform a detailed risk assessment and create a worksite-specific protection plan.
- Train employees on how to limit the spread of COVID-19. This includes how to screen themselves for symptoms and when to stay home.
- Set up individual control measures and screenings.
- Put disinfection protocols in place.
- Establish physical distancing guidelines.
- Establish universal face covering requirements (with allowed exceptions). See CDPH guidelines (PDF).
- Post your completed checklist so everyone can know the steps you’ve taken. Feel free to add more safety measures to the ones included in your industry’s guidance.
Employer policies and resourcesIt’s important that employees with COVID-19 know they should stay home. Your sick leave policies need to support that. Workers also need safe and reliable childcare options during the COVID-19 response. See information on:
Water Quality Guidance - Legionella Prevention
- CDC Guidance for Reopening Building (updated May 7, 2020)- https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/building-water-system.html
- EH Preventing Legionella - https://www.ochealthinfo.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=72418