COVID-19 disease rates are increasing countywide. Private gatherings have been a primary source of disease clusters. All Orange County residents, particularly healthcare providers, need to take measures inside and outside of the workplace to slow its spread. For the latest surveillance data, visit https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc.
- CD Health Alert - COVID-19 in Orange County: Updated Recommendations for Isolation Precautions (7/23/20) Health professionals who wish to receive OC Health Care Agency (HCA) provider advisories can register HERE.
Any person with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should be tested as soon as symptoms develop. Providers are particularly recommended to emphasize testing of high priority groups as defined by the CDC. This includes:
- Hospitalized patients
- Symptomatic healthcare workers
- Symptomatic residents and staff of congregate living facilities including skilled nursing facilities, assisted living sites, and correctional facilities.
HCA can assist with testing these highest risk groups if other laboratory testing options are not available. Please call (714) 834-8180 for more information.
- CDC Testing Recommendations for SARS-CoV-2
- California Department of Public Health Interim Guidance on Prioritization for COVID-19 Laboratory Testing
- Evaluating and Testing Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Patients with positive results from either PCR or antigen testing are reportable to public health. Laboratories are to report both PCR and antigen positive results. Providers need to report within one business day all cases with positive antigen tests that will not be reported by laboratories.
Providers should report hospitalized patients, deaths, and any suspect or confirmed cases who are homeless or living in congregate living settings within one business day to (714) 834-8180. Clinical laboratories are routinely reporting COVID-19 positive test results to HCA.
Resources for Providers:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidance - Resources
- CDC - Info for Healthcare Professionals
- CDC - Healthcare Professionals: FAQ and Answers
- CDC - Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, and Testing Clinical Specimens from Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC - Information for Pediatric Healthcare Providers
- CDC - Evaluating and Reporting Persons Under Investigation (PUI)
- CDC – Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
- CDC - Considerations for Providing Hemodialysis to Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 in Acute Care Settings
- CDC - Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Healthcare Settings
California Department of Public Health - Resources
- CDPH - Testing for COVID-19: PCR, Serology and Antigen – Guidance for Health Care Provider (5/15/20)
- CDPH - California Department of Public Health - All Facilities Letter (1/23/20)