To protect all of our most vulnerable citizens during this challenging time, the County of Orange is working with a diverse group of stakeholders including cities, nonprofits and faith-based organizations to address the complex issue of homelessness. The information below provides important information on this rapidly evolving public health situation.
The data below is reflective of the County's COVID-19 Homelessness Response System which is being managed by Illumination Foundation, the contracted provider, and encompasses the following three components:
- Temporary Isolation Shelter for individuals who are sick or symptomatic for COVID-19.
- Temporary Shelter for Vulnerable Populations, including asymptomatic individuals who are medically vulnerable and /or 65 years and older.
- Alternative Shelter System for individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness and asymptomatic.
Illumination Foundation provides daily meals and snacks, medical oversight, on-site security, transportation in and out of all sites, linkage to support services, and coordinates with Health Care Agency for behavioral health services.
|Current Occupancy (as of 6/4)||Availability||Total Capacity|
|Temporary Isolation Shelters||59||78||137|
|Temporary Shelter for Vulnerable Population||416||95||511|
|Temporary Emergency Shelter||34||66||100|
*This chart will be updated on Mondays and Thursdays by 5 p.m.
Project Roomkey and the OC Health Care Agency
Spanish | Vietnamese
Scripts: Arabic | Chinese (Traditional) | Chinese (Simplified) | Farsi | Korean
JOPLIN - Temporary Alternative Shelter for South Service Planning Area
- OCHCA Public Health
- Shelter Guidance and Resources (4/9/20)
- Homeless Shelter - FAQ (4/9/20)
- CDCD Medical Director – Guidance Memo (3/24/20)
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council. COVID-19 Information for Homeless Shelters and Homeless Service Providers.
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- CDC Interim Guidance for Homeless Shelters
- HUD Infectious Disease Toolkit for CoCs
- Preventing and Managing the Spread of Infectious Disease for People Experiencing Homelessness
- Preventing and Managing the Spread of Infectious Disease within Shelters
- Preventing and Managing the Spread of Infectious Disease within Encampments